Chevy High Performance was published by Petersen Publishing's Hot Rod operation, and it was a re-titling of Chevrolet High Performance. It was a full-sized format magazine and focused on Chevrolet performance cars. Content featured performance upgrades, restoration and technical tips for modern street machines.
Like many Petersen titles in the 1980s, the predecessor, Chevrolet High Performance, started first as a limited series in 1984 under the Hot Rod High Performance Series. It then became a quarterly magazine in 1986 and went to a bi-monthly schedule in 1987. August 1990 was the last printed issue of Chevrolet High Performance, then it was re-titled as Chevy High Performance.
This title was issued bi-monthly until August, 1994 when it went to a monthly schedule. It continued monthly through the end of publication.
In the almost 30 years of print production, the editors and staff rode a wave of changes as the title moved through various new owners:
- 1998 -- All Petersen company titles were sold to EMAP PLC, creating the EMAP-Petersen division,
- 2001 -- EMAP-Petersen sold 60 titles including this one to Primedia for $515 million,
- 2007 -- Primedia sold its Enthusiast Media division including remaining Petersen titles to Source Interlink Media for $1.2 billion,
- 2014 -- Source Interlink rebranded as TEN: The Enthusiast Network,
- 2018 -- TEN was re-branded as the Motor Trend Group, and,
- 2019 -- The Motor Trend Group announced the closure of 19 titles including Chevy High Performance. The last issue was printed in January, 2020.
The publisher provided net paid circulation data to The Standard Periodical Directory in 1996 through 2005 (the last year for which we have data). Annual print production ranged from 264,000 to 439,000 in this timeframe.
A total of 329 issues was printed from October, 1990 through January, 2020. All cover images are complete through 2010.
An internet presence was created and the URL added to the front covers starting in March 2001. The site is now defunct: www.chevyhiperformance.com.